Nature vs nurture debate nurture side. Nature Vs Nurture Debate: Definition & Importance 2022-10-21
Nature vs nurture debate nurture side Rating:
The nature vs nurture debate is a long-standing one in the field of psychology and has been the subject of much research and discussion. At its core, the debate centers on the relative contributions of genetics (nature) and environment (nurture) to the development of human characteristics and behavior. While both nature and nurture play a role in shaping who we are, the nurture side of the debate argues that our environment and experiences have a greater influence on our development than our genetics.
One of the main arguments for the nurture side of the debate is the role of environment in shaping behavior and personality. For example, research has shown that children who grow up in disadvantaged or abusive environments are more likely to develop behavioral and emotional problems than those who grow up in supportive and nurturing environments. Similarly, research has also shown that positive experiences, such as receiving praise and encouragement, can lead to increased confidence and self-esteem, while negative experiences, such as criticism or punishment, can have the opposite effect.
Another argument for the nurture side of the debate is the concept of plasticity, or the ability of the brain to adapt and change in response to experiences. This means that our brains are not fixed and can be molded by our experiences and the environment in which we live. For example, research has shown that the brains of musicians who have been practicing their instrument for many years have structural differences compared to the brains of non-musicians. This suggests that the brain is capable of adapting and changing in response to our experiences, which highlights the importance of nurture in shaping our development.
In addition to the role of environment in shaping behavior and personality, the nurture side of the debate also emphasizes the role of culture in shaping our development. Culture can influence our beliefs, values, and behaviors, and these cultural influences can vary significantly from one society to another. For example, research has shown that people from individualistic cultures, such as the United States, are more likely to value independence and self-reliance, while people from collectivist cultures, such as those found in many Asian countries, are more likely to value interdependence and group harmony.
In conclusion, the nurture side of the nature vs nurture debate argues that our environment and experiences have a greater influence on our development than our genetics. While both nature and nurture play a role in shaping who we are, the nurture side emphasizes the importance of environment and culture in shaping our behavior and personality, as well as the plasticity of the brain in adapting and changing in response to our experiences.
Nature Vs Nurture: The Sociology of Human Behaviour
The nurture side believes that no matter what genes you are born with, they can be changed depending how and where you are raised. We must combine the elements of nature and nurturing to ensure that each child has the chance to pursue their dreams. MLA citation: Herritt, Robert. Accessed February 8, 2016. Shortly thereafter, Aristotle argued that all that a human has is not innate, but arrives through external experience Myers, 2013, p5.
In other words, our actions and personalities are changed and shaped fromthings we have experienced within our lives,and the effect that the environment has had on us. Even with further understanding on the science of the origins of substance abuse, the debate rages on: What causes addiction?. As I began to grow up, these interests passed on to my group of friends and were developed more completely as we became older. For example, I am a very shy and reserved person which is the total opposite of my parents. There were two identical twins that I knew from elementary school and I had not seen them in years until one day I saw them on Facebook. Whatever genes that your parents passed down are what makes you who you are.
Biological Perspective: The Nature Side Of The Debate
For them, the danger is far too great to flirt with, meaning that the safest way they can ensure never triggering their risk is to completely avoid alcohol or drugs , and anything to do with consuming alcohol or drugs. Since they are extremists,they will not hear what the other side even has to say therefore not seeing it from any other point of view besides their own. Two of a Kind Scientists have taken a novel approach to testing the effects of heredity on personality: studying twins. In a nutshell, the environmental consequences of our behaviour will either weaken or strengthen our behaviours in the future. Thus, differences in gene expression profiles between the three groups would likely be due to environmental and not genetic factors. Neither Article 2: Beyond Nature vs.
While this might give you a wealth of information to look through, it also gives you a lot of non-credible sources. Overall twins reared apart were just as similar in terms of personality, attitudes occupational and leisure interests as twins reared together indicating a high degree of heritability of those traits. However, where they are from influences their personality and character. In other words, while genes can account for up to 60 percent of the risk for addiction, genes that carry information that determines the chance of a mental health disorder may account for 40 percent. Can all the factors that measure the role of genetics in a drug or alcohol habit be quantified and qualified? In Gloucester, Massachusetts, a police chief has told his officers not to arrest heroin users, even if they are caught with drugs, and instead to walk them to the nearest treatment center. Chomsky claimed that children have an innate ability to understand different language categories, e. For example, if a gene cannot synthesize a key muscle protein, a person will develop muscular dystrophy.
Nature vs. Nurture: The Debate Over Our Personalities
The cycle of nurturing can happen just as the generational traditions of maltreatment. I think this has to do with nature. It can, however, cause certain genes to become vulnerable, and these genes may be passed down to children. The key point is to recognize the complex collaboration of both nature and nurture; the environment inputs along with the genetic code play and important role on human development. The biggest challenge to this topic is the extremists on both sides. When children spend more time in the outdoors focusing on the natural components of life, then there is a reduction of nearsightedness risks up through adolescence.
Personal Reflection on Nature vs. Nurture Debate Argumentative Essay on childhealthpolicy.vumc.org
MLA citation: Southern Methodist University. Nature versus nurture aside, you decide the course of your professional journey. My roommates live no more than ten minutes away from my house, and all three of us went to different high schools. About 30 percent of genes were differentially expressed between urban dwellers and mountain agrarians. Because children in authoritarian homes were told that they were eating the wrong foods without an explanation as to why they were bad. Supporters of this theory claim that language is too complex of an ability to acquire without built-in 'tools' to help us process it. However, where they are from influences their personality and character.
Why do Sociologists believe in Nurture? The question is, how much of our behavior is inherited? The good news is that we do have the power to disrupt this vicious cycle. Introverts can be drawn to quiet settings or activities that don't require too many social interactions, while people that have an innate tendency to be aggressive might look for environments where conflict is likely to occur. Despite great expression heterogeneity in humans, as much as one third of the leukocyte transcriptome was found to be associated with differences among regions. The information could also determine whether a person is likely to develop a particular illness or genetic condition. Nature connects families to real food. After seeing all of my new classmates, I believe that it is a combination of both.
8 Nature vs. Nurture Articles to Support Your Persuasive Essay
For the purpose of this comparison of the nature vs. The opposite may also be true, with nurture tendencies sometimes playing a significant role in personality and social development. People are born with certain characteristics that make up who they are. In 2015, almost 700,000 children were victims of maltreatment in the United States, with many more cases not reported to social workers, abuse investigators, or law enforcement personnel. I have met a lot of kids and most of them are pretty similar to me. One example of a nativist theory in psychology is Chomsky's Universal Grammar theory.
I have met a lot of kids and most of them are pretty similar to me. Nature teaches people how to become gentle. Accessed February 9, 2016. When we look at these two issues, it is essential to define the term for each one. The nature versus nurture debate has endured for thousands of years, since Ancient Greeks pondered the origins of personality. Many leading psychologists have tried to prove both sides of this argument including, B. We need to have nature involved at the earliest stages of life because that is how we create the next generation.
Genetics and hormones are important in the biological aspect. E , believed that our morality and capability of intelligence was inherited. If a trait has high heritability, it means that individuals with similar genes will be more similar to this trait. I was in an environment that i fit in very well with. That includes teachers and coaches.